Due to COVID-19 Alert Level 2, the 2021 ETNZ Conference was held virtually.
As you can imagine, we were all greatly disappointed that we couldn’t connect in person, but we are an industry used to making major changes at the last moment. So rather than just bringing you 9 online sessions, we worked hard to offer you 24 sessions virtually.
You can access most of the 2021 session recordings via the links below.
ETNZ always wants to support as many members as possible and we were thrilled to be one of the successful recipients in the first round of Te Tahua Whakakaha Cultural Sector Capability Fund from the Ministry for Culture and Heritage. This funding enabled us to deliver the 2021 ETNZ Conference.
Conference Seminar Sessions were held Tuesday 29th June & Wednesday 30th June 2021.
To read a presenter’s bio, click on their name below.
To watch the recording of a session on YouTube, click “Watch” after the session description.
To view the YouTube playlist of all available 2021 Conference Sessions, click here.
To read the bios for all Conference Presenters, click here.
“Ok, now what? Event Safety in a Post-COVID World”
The global live events industry is facing a slew of new issues as we emerge from our COVID-19 induced shutdown. A patchwork of new safety requirements, travel restrictions, resource limitations, and potential variants will likely change the way we do business for some time to come. Event Safety Alliance President Jim Digby and Executive Director Donald Cooper will discuss the short-term and long-term impact these changes will have on our industry’s safety culture, and what ESA is doing to address these challenges. Watch
All Other Sessions
- Digital Presentation – Tana Douglas – Throughout the music industry, Tana Douglas is acknowledged as rock’n’roll’s first female roadie. Her career spanned 30+ years and has seen her work alongside some of rock’s biggest names and personalities. As the music industry grew to become a worldwide cultural phenomenon, she was there, in the thick of it. Watch
- Your show is being recorded for broadcast – The things that need to be planned and budgeted for. – Panel session with Simon Garrett, Chris McKenzie, & Rebecca Tansley. Watch
- Digital Presentation – Michael Braithwaite – Michael is an award-winning creative director, producer, and musician with more than 25 years experience in the industry. Originally from New Zealand, Michael commenced his international career in London as the first Senior Producer for Live Entertainment for the Jim Henson Company. In 2020 he was appointed the first non-military person to direct the 2021 Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo. Watch
- Rigging maths for non-riggers – Looking at information around loadings that other departments need to share with the rigging department and venues. – Workshop session with Sam Johnston, Steve Sanders, Chris Browne, & Genevieve Poppe. Not available for viewing.
- Engaging and mentoring interns and work experience students – How to get the best from the experience for both parties. – Panel Session including Richard Aindow, Nikkii Flint & Sean Coyle. Not available for viewing.
- Digital Presentation – Brian Smallwood – Brian is the author of “Productivity through wellness for Live Entertainment and Theatre Technicians”. He is also a Production Manager at the School of Theatre & Dance, James Madison University. Watch
- Wireless Spectrum Management – Panel Session with Peter & Susan Twartz of PRM, & Brendon Reid. Watch
- Getting into the Industry – Panel Session with Andre Goldsmith & Kerry Griffiths. Watch
- Incorporating Streaming and Zooming in your Shows. – Panel Session with Vicki Cooksley, Nate Ormsby, & Jeff MacKenzie. Watch
- Managing Stress Through Change, Workplace Support Services; A briefing from our Provider – Charlotte Allen. Watch
- Insights from our Returning Global Industry Practitioners. – David Eversfield, Alistair Cameron, & Natalie Braid. Watch
- Fall Protection in the Entertainment Industry. – Nick Creech. Watch
- Where’s the line? – What defines a junior and senior practitioner and how to develop opportunities for growth. – Panel Session with Nick Tomlin, Paul O’Brien, Andre Goldsmith, & Deb McGuire. Watch
- COVID and our Industry. – Vicki Cooksley Not available for viewing.
- Update on Digital Audio Standards and Implementation. – Panel Session with Mark Corbett, Jeff MacKenzie, & Sandy Gunn. Watch
- Virtual Callboard – Presentation by Sam Anderson. In this session, you’ll learn digital stage management techniques using an app that stage managers, actors, crew, and all of your creative team can use to communicate and collaborate throughout the creative process. Watch
- Story telling – Creating visitor experiences and exhibitions. – Marc Simpson. Watch
- Apps Technology – Who is using what? – Knowledge café style – Come and share your favorite app for rostering, scheduling, equipment tracking, show timings etc. The floor is yours. – Chaired by Natalie Braid. Not available for viewing.
- Technical Education in Schools. – Facilitated by Molloy. Not available for viewing.
- Setting yourself up as a contractor – What you need to consider including insurance, tax, and documentation. – Panel Session with Deane Moyle & Gareth Denniston of IRD. Watch
- Current Practices for Networking. – Panel Session including Spencer Earwaker & Eddie Welsh. Not available for viewing.
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Painted Backdrops vs LED Backdrops. – Panel Session including John Verryt & Dave Spark. Watch